10th November 2020
Although the remains of a Roman Road run through Cookridge in Leeds, the history we have dates from the 7th century, when the Angles conquered the Kingdom of Elmet. The Angles named it “Cwics’s strip of land” due to its locality as a length of farmland bordering natural becks to the north, west and south and an old trackway to the east. The Danes then took control in the 9th century (renaming part of the original district “Tyndr’s Hyll” – now Tinshill.
The Doomsday Book, written in 1086, mentions the manor of “Cucheric” and shortly thereafter the farmland was granted to the monks of Kirkstall Abbey. Under their stewardship, the area developed into a township. Following this, Henry VIII confiscated the area, along with all nearby monastic lands, in 1540. The sale included Cookridge Grange, the site of what is now Cookridge Hall Golf Club (a home for epileptics from 1955 to 1990!).
In the 17th century, significant building occurred in Cookridge. This included mills, now mostly demolished, which used the natural becks for both water and power supplies. By the mid 1700’s, the area was a busy thoroughfare. A turnpike became established to maintain one of the few major ‘roads’ out of Leeds to the Dales’ villages.
In the 1800’s a new road was constructed, now known as the A660 Otley Road. Around this time, Moseley Farm also built a rail tunnel allowing the construction of the Leeds to Harrogate railway. As a consequence of the new road and rail link, the former turnpike road fell out of use. In 1820 the Wormald family purchased the Cookridge estate, before portions were sold off for residential development in the 1920’s.
The most significant developer at the time was Cecil Crowther, who along with his brothers, built numerous quality homes in Cookridge, taking advantage of the Housing Acts of 1923-25. In fact, Mavis Lane and Mavis Avenue are named after Cecil Crowther’s daughter. In total, six firms of builders contributed to the development of the area, all with different styles. This eclectic mix ensures the houses retain an interesting and stimulating visual presentation, unlike many new housing developments.
Sporadic development continued, especially after the Second World War. Larger estates emerged, including Ireland Wood and the Iveson estate (1948+), Tinshill, Silkmill and Woodnook (1952+), Moseley Wood’s (from 1957), Holt Park (1973) and Springwood (1980). In addition to the more recent conversion of the former Cookridge Hospital (built 1869) into flats and modern homes in the past couple of years. Now a Grade II listed building, Cookridge hospital first established as a “Hospital for the Convalescent Poor in Leeds”.
Interested in selling your property in Cookridge, or intrigued to learn its value? We’d love to help! We provide free, no obligation valuations with Director and local property expert, Michael Moore. We’re open 7 days a week, providing a professional, friendly service and currently conduct valuations in accordance with Government guidance. Call us on 0113 274 2033 to book your valuation today. We even do Saturdays!
Or if you’re interested in living in Cookridge, find out what properties we have available here.