14th February 2017
Chapel Allerton – A Brief History
The name ‘Chapel Allerton’ is thought to derive from the word Alreton (probably from Old English alor ‘alder’ and tūn ‘estate, farm’, thus meaning Alder farm), which is mentioned in the Domesday Book. In 1240 a charter referred to land lying between the road which goes to the Chapel of Allerton and the bounds of Stainbeck’. The chapel was associated with Kirkstall Abbey but demolished in the 18th century. In 1427 the name Chapel Allerton was shortened to Chapeltown and going forward both names co-existed. To this day there is still differing opinion over where Chapel Allerton ends and Chapeltown begins!
Though mostly an area made up of small farms during medieval times, by the end of 17th century the area had become a resort or second home for wealthy people in Leeds.
Chapel Allerton was incorporated into Leeds administrative area in 1869, as a civil parish.
The area and its streets have featured in several television productions, most notably:
Norfolk Green was used as the main setting in 1980s Yorkshire Television ‘The Beiderbecke Tapes’ and ‘The Beiderbecke Connection’. There were also several other scenes shot in the Chapel Allerton area.
The Yorkshire Television series ‘Fat Friends’ was in part filmed around Chapel Allerton, as well as in other nearby suburbs such as Kirkstall, Headingley and Moor Grange.
The Channel 4 series ‘Sirens’ was in part filmed on Victoria Street.