• Moore than
  • an estate agent...

Tel: 0113 274 2033

Home | News & Updates | All News & Updates | Area Guides | Hyde Park – A Brief History

Hyde Park – A Brief History

1st March 2016

Situated between the University of Leeds and Headingley Hyde Park was not historically a village, so its boundaries are a little vague, but most local people would consider Victoria Road, Cardigan Road, Alexandra Road (or Burley Road) and the University edge of the park (Woodhouse Moor,) to be the boundaries of Hyde Park. That said residents in Cliff Road and Cliff Lane (on what is historically Headingley Hill) regard themselves as Hyde Park residents and are very proud of their neighbourhood.

Much of the area was originally known as Wrangthorn, and the Church at Hyde Park Corner is Wrangthorn Church. The name Hyde Park possibly originates from a group of Leeds architects who attended the Great Exhibition in the summer of 1851 in London and who were so impressed with the majestic terrace housing in London that they commissioned a builder to develop what is now the nucleus of the present Hyde Park Road and Hyde Park Corner. The streets of Kensington Terrace, Regent Park Terrace, Midland Road, Grosvenor Road and Grosvenor Terrace to name but a few, have beautiful three and four storey terrace housing. The detail is excellent with ornate window openings of stone cills, heads and mullions over which many have projecting eaves, and grand stone staircases leading up to porticos over some of the entrance doors. Granted, these are smaller versions of their London namesakes but they add a touch of period glamour to this busy, cosmopolitan, part of Leeds.

  • Bramhope
  • Headingley
  • Hyde Park

Share this post...